Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a note between water changes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: a note between water changes Reply with quote

Hello to all , I keep several different kinds of Rainbows in my single system setup and thoroughly love these types of fish. I am in Kansas , USA almost exactly in the middle of our Country . I really enjoy reading and seeing all the different ways people keep fish around the World. I look forward to hearing your experiences. Some people may know me from other sites so Hello again to you, I look forward to meeting the rest of the members of this group .I am enjoying reading the quality information on this site.I have had fish for over 30 years.
Fish keeping is my passion. Fish keepers are my friends Smile
Foster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum Exclamation I'm in Michigan Ah yes water changes, gotta love it Laughing
Colin_T

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

howdee & welcome to the forum Tinman Smile

what other fishes have you kept over the years, and what rainbows do you currently have? Smile
Tinman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and Thank you for asking...I keep loaches first. I suffered a complete extinction last summer through mechanical failure when out of town. I lost 100's of loaches and many other types including some fish nearing 20 years old. I have kept almost everything available through the years ,some even with success Wink
This let me rebuild my collection.All of my fish are young now. I do not keep the Holy Grail here.... I have reduced to 1500 US gallons in 6 tanks that are very high flow as a single river type system. I presently keep about 60 Loaches ( with about 40 on order),numerous barbs ,a few SA cichlid , miniature plecos and quite a few (imho) Bows,probably 80 or so. I keep fish ,I am not intrested in breeding particularly, at least here and now.

I keep the following Rainbows purchased from my LFS.
This is by common name as scientific name leads to discussion of where and when these fish or eggs were collected . I can not answer those questions so I would not know for sure. I keep these with one male to 3-4 females if females are available. I prefer large groups of fish unless behavior eliminates that option.They all shipped in from Florida.
Yellows,
Reds
Millenium
Celebs
Emerald
Banded
Bosami
Marci
Dwarf preacox...off the top of my head.
mikev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG,,, I heard about the great disaster from other forums, did not realize it was this throughout. What failed to cause this? Central pump?
Tinman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an automated City water valve that only worked about 15 minutes usually hung open 4 days, used all my Prime ,that caused chlorine poisening and temp drop , The snails that crawled up above the water line were the only survivors. 25 or 30 pounds of dead fish upon arrival home. Absolutely devastating. I bawled like a baby Crying or Very sad Embarassed . Single systems have pluses and minuses. I mention it so others may learn from my mistakes. There was only one perfect human Wink .
A main pump would not have done this because of redundant filtration.The valve is manual now btw... Evil or Very Mad
Colin_T

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another loach person Smile

sorry to hear about the losses Sad
Tinman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a loach person Cool . I am moving forward .... Enough about the negative for now .. Loaches on the bottom and barbs and bows above. They go together perfectly...... I am pleased with my combinations now. Flashing and frolicking in Tinman 13.0 is the norm as these fish settle and age a bit. Very Happy I am very impressed with some of the threads on this site. Excellent detail.There is so much to read.
mikev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....

Given that Colin had yoyo's breeding he is allowed to comment on loach persons. Wink
mikev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. BTW, since you are rebuilding your loach collection, possibly this is of interest. (Mark has a shoal of them). They also have sinibotias now.
Colin_T

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikev wrote:
Thanks....

Given that Colin had yoyo's breeding he is allowed to comment on loach persons. Wink

LOL Smile

mikev wrote:
PS. BTW, since you are rebuilding your loach collection, possibly this is of interest.

that's a cool looking fish Smile
Tinman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mikev wrote:
PS. BTW, since you are rebuilding your loach collection, possibly this is of interest.

Thats like a buck a spot Shocked My space is alloted presently...planning ahead is my rule. NO impulse buying..unless they are in the scheme ,ie: odd Shistura...
Quote:
mikev wrote:
Thanks....

Given that Colin had yoyo's breeding he is allowed to comment on loach persons.

seriously ??, Almorhea fry...I have been working lots and have missed tons but when did that bus leave the station Shocked Shocked
mikev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never could plan loaches ahead... never know what is available... the last acquisition was a totally unplanned group of S.balteata (glad I got them -- lots of action). Rainbows and cories I do plan, months in advance.

As for that bus: it is Colin's story, but it happened in the dark ages, when the almorhaes called themselves lochahatas.
Tinman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 square feet of bottom area is all I have operating now ,this limits me to what I have plus the ones I am getting....now I do have some 6' tanks laying aside that if say a shoal of 40 S. helodes would show up I could find room... Very Happy
My older yoyos have been bloated as well as my aged Clowns in years past ,I would not be surprised to see fry about like that from people with the right conditions.....Clowns in their teens would be likely ,not sure about almorhea ,probably after 5 plus years. Clowns may live 30 plus years or more ,almorhea less but 20 plus for sure...
rainbowbratt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tinman. Welcome!! Smile

I'm sure you're tired of this subject, so I'll be brief. I am very sorry to hear about your horrible loss!! I think I'd have lost my mind walking into that!!

I'm in Colorado, and get to Kansas occasionally....I'd love to see your set up.(do you have any pics?) Do you ever get out here for any of the Colorado fish club meetings or to see any speakers we get out here? Gary Lange was just here the beginning of February, its always nice to hear him talk about the hobby, especially bows. Do you have any good LFS in Kansas? Or do you mostly just order things online?

~Lori
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: